How Much Should You Really Hate Your Ex? Friday, August 15, 2008

I got into a deep philosophical discussion the other day (drinking tends to invoke the great debater in everyone) about the proper level of hatred to have towards someone you used to date. I know people that have (for whatever reason) great friendships with their former significant other, and then others that have reciprocal restraining orders. Now for me, I don't hate any of my exes, but not seeing them is better than keeping in touch with them (which can be a form of hate I guess); but that's what works for me.

I know this one guy that fills out mail forwarding requests, just so he can receive his ex-girlfriend's mail and toss it in the trash (true hateful bastard shit); and I know an otherwise completely sane young woman who calls her ex-boyfriend's cell, and if the new chick (of that particular week) answers she goes into a story about she just found out she was pregnant, all in the name of bringing grief to that man's home. Of course those two people are slightly nuts, and I'm glad they can't read (this blog).

And to directly contradict myself for a moment, I would like to say there is an ex that I 'hate', but in a way that's healthy. See my hate for her keeps me away from her. Granted there have been more than one occasion in which I've wished for a small fire to take her out (not even a house fire, but a little bitch ass fire that would make everyone go 'How the hell did that burn 70% of her body?'); or maybe get attacked in the eye by a flock of birds that only go after people while they're driving. But these are just jokes (only because I haven't found a genie yet), and only serve as personal reminders to never find myself back together with that person.

Everyone knows the chronic 'break-up to make-up' couple, and the only reason they exist is because they hate each others' guts and haven't realized it yet (and probably won't until they get married). So how much should you hate your ex? Well I personally measure it in the number of seconds it would take for me to react if I saw the ex in danger. For example, if I saw my ex-girl getting beat the hell down, I would count to seven (with 'Mississippi' in between, and without taking my eyes off the action) and then intervene. See that's healthy hate right there; however, for those that would watch their former boo get monkey stomped for a solid ten/fifteen/or twenty-five seconds (one person in the debate last night said he would count to one hundred) then: a. You hate your ex a little too much, and b. You've just witnessed a crime.

7 comments:

Memeeflye said...

Funny. I think I have a have a little healthy hate for my ex husband, but not too much because he's the father of my child.

Dkelly said...

Heeeey. Wait a second,What are you saying? ....I ended up marrying my ex from college. 3 months into it, I can honestly say we don't hate each other! ;)

JOE CASTRO said...

fortunately for you, you and your ex from college (whom i will refer to as your husband) have something special; plus somethings are just meant to be.

now most people would probably feel like you just poked a hole in my theory; good thing i hate those people. :)

Unknown said...

I am DYING do you hear me... DYING! LMAO

Anonymous said...

This is hilarious!

Anonymous said...

I hate and love my X...Even so that I am still fucking him while he is married to the trick that broke up our marriage. I am getting mine and doing it out of spite. I can't wait for him to get caught.

JOE CASTRO said...

wow... i'm glad u chose to be anonymous on this one.